I suggest you ...

Advanced Branching -Enable ability to skip/hide questions

Currently, branching works best when only two branches exist. Forms should be able to support more than two branches for a question. The end goal is to hide all irrelevant questions based on a user's response to a previous question.

Below is a example question for this use case:
Q: Please select your preference below.
1. Option A
2. Option B
3. Option C
4. No Preference

Expected Functionality:
If "No Preference" is selected, I want to skip to the end of the form.

If "Option A" is selected, I want to skip to a specific question. The same is true for Options B and C.

When Option A is selected, the follow-up questions for Options B and C should not appear.

When Option B is selected, the follow-up question for Option C should not appear.

504 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need this asap. Its the only way to create cascading dropdowns. Oh yeah, you also need dropdowns!!

• Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the quiz scenario it would be very helpful to be able to create a quiz with 10 questions, but the questions would be shuffled from a bank of e.g. 30 questions - if this can be accomplished with or incorporated into = branching, skip/hide or shuffle - it would address a lot of ideas listed here.

Suggest to be able to branch out into different forms based on few initial screening of the respondents. This make it easy to send 1 form but still have customized questionnaires for each group of respondents.

• Lisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If they allowed Sections or Pages, branching could be done on answers by going to page instead of question. Group questions on Sections/Pages. Then allow one more additional branch at the section/page level at the bottom of the page to go to next page, or a specific page to continue. This is how Google Forms work and WE NEED THIS PLEASE!

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be lovely! Until then, Forms is completely unusable to my newly formed company. I'm sure it is more difficult than applying the same logic to the question(s) that we currently can skip via branching, and then just adding the ability to choose skip question. If not, I beg you to just add this already (even if it is more difficult than that, I still beg).

I agree with this - I have 3 separate sections, to some the first 2 and last 3 questions dont apply, to others the middle questions dont apply. would be good to use branching to block out those that dont apply, rather than jumping to one question.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be good to have the ability to make the followup question(s) mandatory if shown but non-mandatory if hidden

• David Birdsall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without this feature I will be forced to duplicate questions. That is the only way to not have repeats or questions that do not make sense shown to respondents whose previous answers should preclude them from having to answer that question. This is supported in other platforms and should be built out ASAP

• Julian Thrussell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without this feature I cant use Forms. It's that simple. I'm not aware of any competing services that lack this most basic feature.

Can't this be already achieved using skip to question?

A -> go to A1
        B -> go to B1
        C -> go to C1
        D -> go to the end

A1 -> go to A2
        A2 -> go to A3
        A3 -> go to the end
        B1 -> go to B2
        B2 -> go to B3
        B3 -> go to the end
        C1 -> go to C2
        C2 -> go to C3
        C3 -> go to the end

• Jo-Ber Agcanas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great, I had a form that needs this specific feature.

Example:
        Option 1 (Question 1-5 & 16-20) or Boxes A, B, C, D
        Option 2 (Question 1-10 & 21-25) or Boxes A, B, E, F
        Option 3 (Question 1-5 & 11-20) or Boxes A, C, E, F

How it works

• Create a user account if you want to add a new suggestion or vote on existing suggestions.
      • Select one of the feedback forums listed.
      • Check out the ideas others have suggested and vote on your favorites.
      • Be sure to search for your suggestion but if you can’t find something similar enough, you can submit your own.
      • Keep suggestions focused on a single idea per post and limited to 25 words or less.
      • When you post an idea to our forum, others will be able to subscribe to it and make comments.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Standard Disclaimer

Please note that the Forms Suggestion Box is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. If your submission is not a product feature suggestion it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. Your submission is subject to the UserVoice License Terms.