I suggest you ...

Connect results to Excel as a data source rather than opening a new workbook each time

The form is great in terms of collecting responses. That said, if you need to view all the data at once, you need to open the form results in Excel. If you do that, it appears to open a separate result each time. There is no way to edit the results workbook. For example, I want to add a column to the results where I can keep track of whether or not I have contacted the person since they have filled out the form. If I add that column to the table, it will be gone when I next click "Open in Excel" to get the latest data. It would be great if it creates a connection to the workbook and is treated like a data source for the workbook.

495 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AshleighAshleigh shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    thinking about it  ·  Zhongzhong LiAdminZhongzhong Li (Admin, Microsoft Forms) responded  · 

Hi Forms users,

Thanks for using Microsoft Forms and providing feedback.

We just enabled a new feature “Forms for Excel” for all Microsoft Forms customers. When you create Forms for Excel in your OneDrive for Business / modern SharePoint team sites, you will get an Excel workbook at the same time. All the responses data will show up in your Excel workbook in real time.

You could get more detail from – https://aka.ms/formsforexcel

Please be free to leave comments if you have any question.

Regards,
    Microsoft Forms Team

34 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does this work with Quiz? I tried the "Forms for Excel" but it is only for forms but not quizzes.

• amandaamanda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not sure if this a new function but I've been playing with forms and figured out if you create your form from inside Excel (online version - Home tab) it will link the form and excel automatically and update almost instantly, no need for Flow. The Excel sheet will be where ever you created it in OneDrive; can be shared with whoever you choose; can be opened online and viewed by whoever has access and you can add extra columns that don't appear on the form (and yes, they remain after the sheet is closed).

• JohanJohan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Needed function as a admin and admin-team to:
        1) edit an answer is needed. During the life time of the current form eg errors needs to be able to be edited by the admin, so that future excelreports will be more correct.
        2) as an admin being able to edit and adjust which columns should be included in the report.

• ReubenReuben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please link it to Excel 365 and Power BI (although I know we can connect Excel 365 to Power BI). Thanks.

• ClaudiaClaudia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also agree with commenters on this thread who suggested that you should be able to view results in Excel online in OneDrive.

• Laurie BoonLaurie Boon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You should be able to view entries in excel online by multiple people at the same time with the option to downloaded to an offline version. Working in the same way that Google Form responses do.

DEFINITELY- we need to post process the data using macros so we need to be able to easily access the the excel sheet via our one drive easily

• ScottScott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This functionality is critical for me to move away from Google Docs and Google Forms. I use Google Forms to have my Field Engineers enter their activities for the day. I need to edit the source "database", Google Sheet or Excel Spreadsheet in this case, for two reasons. One, I need to make adjustments to the type of activity or details of the activity based on conversations I have with the team after they submit the activity. This gives me the ability to ensure the quality of the data and allows a human filter to an otherwise automated solution. The second reason is that I have added several columns to do calculations. For example, I might assign a certain number of points or an average number of minutes for a support call. They log a call and the new column multiplies that by the number of points or minutes. I can also make a separate sheet for pivot tables, which are obviously great for reporting.

Bonus points to Microsoft if they let us use the Forms graphs and pie charts on custom columns without having to create Pivot Tables on the second sheet.

We have to be able to see and edit the data behind the responses in order for this to be a viable solution for all types of surveys/quizzes/report trackers.

Just to point out it;s great telling people how to kink to forms in 2016/O365. Some of us have access to forms etc. via SharePoint but are still on 2013. That functionality is unavailable to us and Flow does not allow automation even if the Excel file is in SharePoint. We will be moving to 2016 soon so I won;t lose too much sleep over this, but it seems that MS once again develop solutions that are only current version compatible.

You can use flow to create update an excel spreadsheet every time a new form is submitted.

• Bill BlaisBill Blais commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Related caveat to my earlier comment about how to do this via OneDrive/Sharepoint: Currently, only a single form can be connected to a given Excel workbook (I have a new suggestion for this, but it's still pending approval).

• Bill BlaisBill Blais commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is actually possible right now, if you use OneDrive or Sharepoint. Unfortunately, it's a bit buried.

I recently posted a step-by-step with screen clips here:
        https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_o365edu-mso_forms/microsoft-forms-excel-spreadsheet/13cc0e55-aada-4a30-9d5e-2db063f50ab4#LastReply

There are a couple ways, but the short version is:
        1 - Create the Excel worksbook in OneDrive or Sharepoint
        2 - In the workbook, click "Insert" > "Forms" > "New Form"

This will bring you to MS Forms with a blank form titled with your filename, by default. In the originating Excel file, a new sheet will be created tied to this form. Any subsequent submissions will be recorded live in that Excel file, rather than having to go to the form and then download the results.

• edhedh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. The Excel file needs to be in Office 365 Sharepoint somewhere - a team, group, something, not downloaded each time you want to see the data.

• Michelle HicksMichelle Hicks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are trying to use a form to collect information on parent communication that requires action. It would be nice to be able to edit an online form when action is completed without having to complete the entire form again for each incident.

I think that having:
        - an online form that can be filled in, like the student services referral form
        - an automatic email notifying tutors, SPMs and students when their placements have been received and then cleared
        - an easy to confirm online form for placements to confirm that they have had the student in and their hours (the University of Gloucester has a very simple link sent to placement people that is a one-click confirmation)
        - an online diary that allows students to input it without printing
        would minimise printing, make it easier for students, staff and placement representatives to track and increase student and placement engagement with the system.

← Previous 1

How it works

• Create a user account if you want to add a new suggestion or vote on existing suggestions.
      • Select one of the feedback forums listed.
      • Check out the ideas others have suggested and vote on your favorites.
      • Be sure to search for your suggestion but if you can’t find something similar enough, you can submit your own.
      • Keep suggestions focused on a single idea per post and limited to 25 words or less.
      • When you post an idea to our forum, others will be able to subscribe to it and make comments.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Standard Disclaimer

Please note that the Forms Suggestion Box is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. If your submission is not a product feature suggestion it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. Your submission is subject to the UserVoice License Terms.