I suggest you ...

Connect results to Excel as a data source rather than opening a new workbook each time

The form is great in terms of collecting responses. That said, if you need to view all the data at once, you need to open the form results in Excel. If you do that, it appears to open a separate result each time. There is no way to edit the results workbook. For example, I want to add a column to the results where I can keep track of whether or not I have contacted the person since they have filled out the form. If I add that column to the table, it will be gone when I next click "Open in Excel" to get the latest data. It would be great if it creates a connection to the workbook and is treated like a data source for the workbook.

815 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ashleigh shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    thinking about it  ·  AdminZhongzhong Li (Admin, Microsoft Forms) responded  · 

Hi Forms users,

Thanks for using Microsoft Forms and providing feedback.

We just enabled a new feature “Forms for Excel” for all Microsoft Forms customers. When you create Forms for Excel in your OneDrive for Business / modern SharePoint team sites, you will get an Excel workbook at the same time. All the responses data will show up in your Excel workbook in real time.

You could get more detail from – https://aka.ms/formsforexcel

Please be free to leave comments if you have any question.

Regards,
    Microsoft Forms Team

62 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same issue in my application of Forms. I need to have the results push through to a live Excel which also needs a column added to acknowledge that the Forms entry has been reviewed. Forms is great, and very powerful, but without a way to better work with the results without manually editing the data, alot of efficiency and value is lost.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you start the questionnaire by Forms, you allow access as it does SharePoint, without the need to download a spreadsheet with each new update or new response.

• Judi Stewart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great if I could get the form responses to sync to the workbook reliably... When I create either an excel workbook in SharePoint Online, and use the create form tool, or create a forms for excel document, the form is created ok, but the workbook doesn't always check in properly and it never gets sync'd with the responses - but, then again, sometimes it's fine and I can't see what's different that might cause the different outcomes :(

• S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have connected a mySQL data source to my excel, Can other users with no access to the mySQL db get updated data everytime they open the excel?

It would be good if we could save the comments on the Excel form within the OneDRIVE and share it with others.
        Generating a dynamic file that is updated with each comment, instead of downloading an Excel file every time.

Hi,

Can we generate the response in Excel automatically so that it should get integrated with different system as a source file.

Regards,
        Madhu

Hi,

Can we generate the Responses in Excel automatically and integrate it to different system as source file.

Thanks,
        Madhu

• Beth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This functionality already exists if you build the form within Excel online - but i can't find a way of moving existing forms over to this system. It would be really nice if there was an option by the download to excel button, to choose as a download or as part of Excel online in real time.
        Then you wouldn't have to re-make entire forms.

回答を確認するたびにエクセルをダウンロードしているのですが、毎度ダウンロードせずともオンラインのエクセルフォームで確認することが出来たらとっても便利です。

• Perry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Save the Excel as on online doc in OneDrive For Business, so it can be edited and ... well, because of all the reasons to use OneDrive to begin with. Have a new Excel file each time the form is submitted is no good

Can you link several forms to different spreadsheets. i.e., I want to have one form connect to multiple excel files.

• Miguel Chumbo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I created the form on the excel workbook. As I passed the 30MB threshold I cannot use the online excel. I can only use the excel from the PC. However, this excel isn´t getting the answers in real time and doesn´t have connections. Is there any solution?

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now there is a major issue with no set linkage between the two methods of creating a Form. If you start a new form from Microsoft Forms, it does not create or enable the creation of excel online in OneDrive with the data.

Only if you create a new 'Form for Excel' in OneDrive will it create the spreadsheet.

The how to information is not clear on this, so this also needs updating.

You need to enable the option to choose to store the data in onedrive or Sharepoint if required. Do this and it will become a viable alternative.

• Alison Trinidad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've created a "Form for Excel" on a Sharepoint drive, but now am unable to connect the form as a trigger on Microsoft Flow. Only Forms created in Forms (not Excel) are showing up in the Flow drop-down. I would like to create an email notification and approval workflow for every response submitted through the Form. Possible?

I have the same issue as @Erik Olsson, I've published the form and advertised it, down want to retract it, can we link form back to onedrive "form for excel"?>?

• Amber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a form created in my OneDrive for Business account and it's linked to an ective Excel spreadsheet in the same OneDrive account. But to your comment, "All the responses data will show up in your Excel workbook in real time." I have a very important question. What happens to those responses which are received WHILE I'm actively working in that Excel workbook.

To test this, I left my Excel workbook open and then went and submitted a test form. That survey result shows in my forms responses, but even after closing and reopening the Excel spreadsheet, it is NOT found in my Excel workbook. Do I lose the data from those responses submitted while I'm working my workbook? This could be very problematic.

• Roberto Cuenca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

I have the same issue @Erik Olsson. I made a form in Microsoft Form but I need move or duplicate in "Forms for excel" becuase i want to have the file excel in Onedrive Business/Sharepoint, is that possible ??

Thanks in advance for you help or any information.

Regards.

• Joana Villas-Boas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same issue as @Erick Olsson. I worked a hole day in bulding a form with Microsoft Forms and I just learned it's not sotred anywhere that can be reached. I nedd it to be in some place where data can be edited or worked on. OneDrive for business for excemple. How can I move an existing form made in Forms to OneDrive for business?

• Erik Olsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great. is it possible to link a previously made form to a "Forms for excel" or does the above solution only apply to new forms you create?

Meaning: If you want to have an excel file connected to a form you have to setup a "Forms for excel" before you create a form?

Thanks!

← Previous 1 3 4

How it works

• Create a user account if you want to add a new suggestion or vote on existing suggestions.
      • Select one of the feedback forums listed.
      • Check out the ideas others have suggested and vote on your favorites.
      • Be sure to search for your suggestion but if you can’t find something similar enough, you can submit your own.
      • Keep suggestions focused on a single idea per post and limited to 25 words or less.
      • When you post an idea to our forum, others will be able to subscribe to it and make comments.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Standard Disclaimer

Please note that the Forms Suggestion Box is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. If your submission is not a product feature suggestion it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. Your submission is subject to the UserVoice License Terms.